History of United Way of Calvert County
The United Way of Calvert County (UWCC) is an independent, separately incorporated organization governed by local volunteers who serve only Calvert County.
UWCC began by supporting six agencies and now serves a multitude of agencies through Community Impact grants, Basic Needs grants and designations. In 2013, there are 30 partner agencies eligible for designations, 15 Community Impact grant funded partners, and 6 Basic Needs grant funded partners.
United Way has evolved from a fundraising organization into a community building partner, focusing on three vital impact areas: Education, Health, and Financial Stability.
United Way of Calvert County was incorporated on April 23, 1980. Since then, UWCC has raised over 14 million dollars.
United Way of Calvert County started with volunteers from Baltimore Gas & Electric supporting six local human service agencies. The first employee campaign held at BGE raised approximately $5,000.
The annual Day of Caring formed to encourage and celebrate volunteerism in Calvert County.
The United Way House & Volunteer Resource Center opened its doors at 530 Main Street to act as a hub for local human service agencies.
The Success By 6 Initiative was established to bring partners together to improve the % of children entering school ready to learn.
The Community Impact model was adopted to fund programs that address a critical need, provide measurable results and lead to long-term change.
The Women's Initiative emerged to raise funds and awareness in three key areas: early childhood, healthy girls and women's economic empowerment.
UWCC Implimented its first multi-year funding cycle to achieve lasting changes in the lives of people in Calvert County.
A new strategic direction was launched to bring the community together in addressing pressing issues in the areas of Education, Income and Health - the building blocks for a good life.
History of United Way Worldwide
There are approximately 1800 United Ways across the world. Where did it begin? In 1887, a Denver priest, two ministers and a rabbi recognized the need for cooperative action to address their city’s welfare problems. The Rev. Myron W. Reed, Msgr. William J.O’Ryan, Dean H. Martyn Hart and Rabbi William S. Friedman put their heads together to plan the first united campaign for ten health and welfare agencies. They created an organization to serve as an agent to collect funds for local charities, as well as to coordinate relief services, counsel and refer clients to cooperating agencies, and make emergency assistance grants in cases which could not be referred. That year, Denver raised $21,700 and created a movement that would spread throughout the country to become the United Way. Over 125 years later, United Way is still focused on mobilizing the caring power of communities and making a difference in people’s lives.